Countable & Uncountable nouns
Nouns can be countable or uncountable. When you learn a new noun you should make a note of whether it is countable or uncountable as we use different words with countables and uncountables.
- There is a cat in the garden.
- There are some birds in the trees.
For positive sentences we can use a/an or some (with a plural verb form)
- There isn’t a dog in the garden.
- There aren’t any birds in the tree.
For negatives we can use a/an or any (with a plural verb form).
- Is there an orange on the tree?
- Are there any chairs in the garden?
- How many chairs are there?
In questions we use a/an, any or how many.
- There is some milk on the floor.
Uncountable nouns have no plural. The verb form is singular and we use some.
- Is there any sugar?
- How much wine is there?
In questions we can use any or how much.
Other expressions of quantity
- There are a lot of apples on the trees.
- There is a lot of snow on the road.
- Bill Gates has a lot of money.
- There’s a lot of beer but there isn’t much wine.
- There are a lot of carrots but there aren’t many potatoes.
a bag of a jar of
a bottle of a loaf of (two loaves of)
a bunch of a pint of
a box of a pound (lb) of
a can of a half pound of / half a pound of
a gallon of a quart of
a head of a dozen
- Non-count nouns can’t be counted, but they may be measured. Partitives measure specific quantities of non-count nouns.Partitives can be counted.
Examples: a head of lettuce
two heads of lettuce
a can of soup
two cans of soup
- Partitives can measure by weight or size.
Examples: a pound of cheese.
a gallon of milk.
a quart of orange juice.
a pint of ice cream.
- Partitives can measure by describing the container.
Examples: a box of cereal
a bag of flour
a can of soup
a jar of jam
a bottle of ketchup
- Partitives can measure by describing the shape.
Examples: a bunch of carrots
a head of lettuce
a loaf of bread
- More partitives:
a bowl of a glass of
a cup of an order of
a dish of a piece of
Examples: A bowl of strawberries
a cup of coffee
a dish of salad
a glass of water
an order of bacon
a piece of apple pie
Make your shopping list and leave a comment in the blog!!